What does a scientist look like..?

Today was the first day of our Science and Technology Methods Course. For the warm up activity, we were given time and told to draw a scientist. There were no rules that we had to follow, we just were to draw what came to mind when we thought of a scientist. Below you can see my drawing.



In my drawing, you can see common scientific materials such as beakers, test tubes and a microscope. My scientist, Dr. Gneiss, is wearing a tie-dye lab coat, similar to the one my high school chemistry teacher wore.

Once we finished drawing, we all got up and walked around the classroom to observe our peer's drawings. Below is a list of what I observed;

  • Everyone drew the gender that they are
  • Most scientists had the title doctor
  • Most scientists had glasses or goggles
  • Most had lab coats
  • Beakers, test tubes or microscopes were used in most drawings
  • All but one were inside a lab
Most of which I listed above are to be considered the typical stereotype of a scientist. Not all scientists are doctors. Most science teachers at the k-12 school level are not doctors yet, they are scientists. Same goes to the students they teach. As one of my peers stated, anyone can be a scientist!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Space Science?

The five E's of Inquiry

More on Simple Machines!