My experience with Science

As a child, I had always loved science. Throughout school, science was always my one of favorite subjects. Upon entering college, I had to make the hard decision of choosing a concentration for my major. I ended up choosing history but science was always a consideration for me.

Looking back, I remember several experiments I enjoyed. In 4th grade, we did the milk and food color experiment. You pour milk into a bowl, add in a few drops of food dye and then add in soap. When adding the soap, it creates the effect of tie-dye. I was  amazed by this and I remember it getting me into the world of science.

High school science was perhaps, my favorite years of science. My first three years of high school, I was in honors program. My senior year, I was in a college level course. My freshman year, I was in biology. I remember dissecting a pig in order to learn the body parts and functions. Although it was quite stomach turning, it was interesting to have a hands on experience and see the parts of the body in person rather than on  a screen.

Sophomore year, I was enrolled in Earth Science, here we got the opportunity to explore our surrounds and determine the types of rocks and minerals around us. We often went outside  but also gathered materials from home to examine and determine what type of rock they were. Bringing the outside world into the classroom created a whole new science world for me.

My favorite years of science were junior and senior year. I had the same teacher for both. Junior year I was in chemistry. The one experiment that stays present in my mind was tie-dye. At the end of the year, our last experiment was tie-dye. Here, we created solutions to soak the shirts in as well as the dye we were using. We had to research and determine the type of bonds being created, which led to the dye sticking to the shirt. Senior year, I was in forensics. This was my favorite science topic of all. So much so, I was thinking about going into the forensics field. Here, the teacher really integrated resources throughout the course to deepen our understanding. We were able to watch a live autopsy and even do experiments revolving around the forensics field like blood spatter and DNA testingMy favorite part of the course were the way she set up her pre and post test. For both, she set up a crime scene in the classroom. In the beginning of the course, she watched and we tried to determine the different elements of the scene. At the end of the semester, she set it up once again and   and we had to solve it using all the information we had learned throughout the course. It was amazing to see how much I learned in the class over the year and I enjoyed it being so hands on and interactive rather than a written test. As a science test, I hope to create memories just like this with my students.


Image result for forensics

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Space Science?

The five E's of Inquiry

More on Simple Machines!